Eastbourne Sovereign Sailing Club is in the beautiful seaside town of Eastbourne on the East Sussex coast and is a family club, run by its members. Situated right on the promenade on the seafront, it is in an idyllic location and the sailing conditions are unrivaled.
The club is well known in the dinghy sailing world for its friendliness and for its strong organisation. We welcome new members and work hard to make them feel part of the club as soon as possible. We cater for experienced sailors and beginners alike and our members sail a variety of classes, including Laser, RS800, Spitfire, Internation Moth, A-class, RS400, Contender, Topper, RS600, Dart 16, and Pico. There are examples of a number of other classes as well and our club racing is very well attended.
The club operates a Training Academy which offers a number of RYA courses for both adults and juniors and across the ability range. We own our own training fleet, which consists of Picos, Laser’s, Toppers and a Laser Vago, and our courses prove to be very popular. We welcome visitors to the club and have hosted numerous national championships and open meetings over the years. The clubhouse provides very good facilities, including a galley, bar, lounge area and changing rooms with hot showers.
Members enjoy numerous social events throughout the season, including our very popular “Sea Week” during August, when lots of people take some time off work and spend long days at the club enjoying some sailing or relaxing on the beach and in the bar!
We hope you enjoy looking at our website. Feel free to send us a message via the contact page if you would like any further information. Better still, come and visit us at the club! You’ll be assured of a warm welcome!
Our Safety Boats
ESSC has 4 motorboats used for safety cover during sailing. At least 1 boat is always on the water whilst sailing is happening, and we always have an additional RIB based on the beach available if needed.
Safety is paramount. Rescuing someone from the water always takes president over water activities and the boats themselves.
- General Secretary – Lynne Kiernan
- Treasurer – Mandy Batchelor
- Membership Secretary – Peter Dives
- Communications Secretary – Mark Fryer
- Member – Jacky Thomas
- Member – Mick Whitmore
- President – Roy Williamson
- Vice President – Mick Harker
- Vice Commodore – Paul Jenkins
- Sailing Secretary – Stevo
- Assistant Sailing Secretary –
- Training Officer –
- Rota Officer – Louise Hilder
- Results Officer – Nick Hart
- Trophy Officer – Ben Gosling-Davis
- Bosun – Ben Daigneault
- Training Bosun –
- Beachmaster – Keith Murphy
- Junior Sailing Trainer – Mark Fryer
House Committee & Other
- Rear Commodore – Andrew Hunt
- Bar Secretary – Allyson Jeffires
- House Secretary – Richard Bromage
- Social Secretary – Carole Whitcher
- Bookings Co-ordinator – TBC
- Club Welfare Officer – Henry Kiernan